Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Homeschool Preschool

I've been feeling like our days are SUPER monotonous around here. Every day is the. exact. same. as the day before.  And I'm sure this will continue until my kids are in College. Lately I've been feeling sorry for myself that Lyla's not in any Mother's Day Out program or preschool of any sort and that we have nothing to break our days up. Well, I'm done feeling sorry for myself. :) I've decided to embrace these days at home and take advantage of this sweet time I've been given with Lyla. It honestly is nice not to have anywhere I have to be during the day. If we want to stay in our PJ's all day, why not?? I want to enjoy these days and not wish them away because I really do know that Lyla being home with me all day will not last forever. SO, I've decided to put my Elementary Ed. Degree to some use! :) Here's my plan. Let's hope it lasts longer than 2 days...

While Lyla's been napping, I put together this little bulletin board. If I were Whitney or Ali, it would have been much cuter and way more creative. But, since I didn't get those crafty, creative genes, I just went with practical and easy. :)


I thought about doing a Fall theme, and switching it out every month or two...but I knew that would never happen. So, I just made it really simple so that all I have to do is use an index card and a push pin whenever I want to switch out a category. As far as the categories go, I just thought about things she's naturally interested in and that we talk about  on a day to day basis anyway. So, here are the things we'll be working on over the next couple weeks...

Whenever she's mastered any of the concepts, I'll take the index card off, date it on the back, and then replace it with a new one. I'm most excited about the memory verses. I decided if she can memorize songs, she can memorize Scripture. And it will be fun to have a collection of those cards for us to continually review. (So far, I've just been telling her this verse over and over and her response everytime is "nooooo!" so I think we have a long way to go! ha!)

I haven't decided yet if we are going to have a set time each day that we work through these things (just the thought of that kinda makes me laugh because it's so unrealistic!), or if I'm just going to incorporate them in whatever we're already doing throughout the day...i.e. chalk/playdough (drawing and making our letter, shape, and number), reading outloud (looking for the letter "a"on this page, reading books about our Bible story or vocabulary word, etc.) But, overall, I'm just hoping it will give me a little more direction and purpose in our days. (And make me turn off the TV and get off the computer and actually be intentional about educating my child.) So, now that she's awake from her nap and she's eaten her snack, I guess we'll go start on lesson #1. Surely having one student will be easier than 26 fourth graders, right?!?! :)

8 comments:

  1. Raise your hand if you feel like the laziest mom on the planet?!?!? (Both of my arms are up!) This is SO awesome! You have definitely inspired me... even with Harper in school 2 days a week, I think this would really keep us from watching so much tv! You are such a great mom!!! Wish we lived closer so I could learn even more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea!! I might try to incorporate this with Campbell now! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so smart! Love this idea. Kids soak that stuff up so easily and she will be way ahead when she actually goes to school! (This is the teacher coming out in me :) Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You. Are. Awesome. But we already knew that.

    P.s. I died laughing at the first comment...who feels like the laziest mom?? Hands up here for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, that board is such a good idea! You've really popped out there since I saw ya 5 weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (a) you're the cutest little preggo ever!
    (b) congrats on girl #2-- two of the same is so fun, especially as they grow older and develop a sweet friendship (love watching my boys get closer as Connor gets a little older)
    (c) I'm with Lauren. Both of my arms are up in the air. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete