Monday, September 10, 2012

Mother's Day Out

Lyla had her first day of Mother's Day Out this morning. She is going to UBC on Monday and Thursday mornings from 8:15-12:00. What's funny is that she's been begging to "go to school" for like a year now. I always knew that she would love it, because she's so social and it's just a nice break from the norm for her. She has always LOVED church nursery and the child care when I (used to) work out.   :) But, a couple weeks ago, I checked out this book from the library called "Llama Llama misses Mama" and it's all about this little Llama's first day of school, and he's so sad and cries because he misses his Mama...and then of course ends up having a good day. But, I really think it did more harm than good because Lyla became obsessed with the book and we read it about 10 times a day for 2 weeks. And she all of a sudden had it in her head that she's supposed to be afraid of school. So, everytime I'd mention school, she'd say "no, I'm scared of school. I'm gonna miss my Mama!" :)

Anyway, last Thursday morning, we went to Meet the Teacher, and she met her teacher Mrs. Deborah. She's so sweet, and I was so excited to see that we knew 2 of the little girls in her class. Here we are at meet the teacher. Lyla's giving her scared/shy face...
 But then she quickly saw all the cool toys, and I had to drag her away...
She left feeling really excited about school. 

So, this morning was her actual first day. She was SO excited. When we were getting ready, she said "Mommy, I'm not going to miss you because I'm a big girl and school is so fun!" She even cheesed it up for a picture before we left...and insisted on wearing her backpack and lunch box. 
As soon as we got there, she immediately started playing with toys. I visited with her teacher for a minute, then I walked over to give her a kiss goodbye. Again, she's always totally fine with me leaving her. But, not this time. She started crying, saying "Don't leave me!! Stay and play with me!!" At this point, Lowen started crying, and I was trying to walk out the door with Lyla hanging on my leg and begging me to stay. Ha! The teacher eventually grabbed her from me and I quickly escaped, listening to her cry all the way down the hallway. :( I blame Llama Llama. But I quickly got over it when I got to go to Target and Hobby Lobby with just one child. And then I came home to put Lowen down for a nap and have a little alone time on our new patio with a snack and my Bible...

The only downside is that it went by entirely too fast, and I had to wake up Lowen from her nap to go pick Lyla up. Which made for a cranky Lowen. Although, I'm pleased to report that when we walked in, Lyla was happily eating her little lunch with her friends. So stinkin' cute. And she ran over and gave me the biggest hug and said she had fun. Mrs. Deborah said she stopped crying as soon as she showed her the station where they glue cheerios on construction paper. It really is the simple things, right? She had colored a picture of the letter A, and decorated a popsicle stick, which they then gave to a friend in the class. Sounds like a great day to me! When we got home, Lyla said "Mom, Mrs. Deborah is awesome!" SO glad she thinks so.  Excited to see all that she learns this year! And selfishly, I could get used to these quiet mornings with just Lowen. :) Now, they are waking up from their naps and I believe we need to make an ice cream and park run to celebrate...

1 comment:

  1. I just love her little school picture. Precious little face!

    ReplyDelete